When a personal injury attorney in Florida is contacted to assist a client with a case that is related to a boating accident, they will have a number of questions. Florida boating accidents are more common than you may think and they can take place at anytime .
Sometimes, these accidents take place and they are no one’s fault. In other instances, these accidents are the direct result of someone else’s negligence.
How a Personal Injury Attorney In Florida Can Help
Avoiding boating accidents is important but it is more important to know why they are happening in the first place. The more we know, the easier it becomes to avoid them. Let’s take a closer look at some of the more common reasons for boating accidents in the state of Florida.
- Water Surges :Inexperienced boaters do not always know how to handle these surges. If an operator sets sail and causes injuries to passengers because of surges, they may be held liable.
- Bad Weather Conditions : Boating should never take place when the weather conditions are not conducive. Have storm warnings been issued? If so, the boat operator can be held liable. The same goes for any failure to follow the necessary navigational rules.
- Improper Equipment Usage : The parties who are responsible for operating the boat must utilize all of the correct safety equipment or risk being held liable for any accidents or injuries that take place.
- Speeding/Usage of Drugs and/or Alcohol: These are obvious mistakes that are going to cause a boat operator to be held liable for the injuries that occur. Speeding leads to slowed reaction times and so does the usage of drugs and/or alcohol. Bad decisions are made in these instances that can cause all parties on board to suffer.
- Inexperienced/Distracted Operator: Even the most experienced operators can be prone to distraction and this is not an issue that is limited to inexperienced operators. While operators who are inexperienced should be taking all of the proper precautions, an experienced operator is just as prone to making mistakes.
How Do Cases Related To These Accidents Work?
The client must prove that their injuries directly resulted from the operator’s negligence. An experienced personal injury attorney gives a client all of the tools that they need to do so. Trying to handle a case of this magnitude without the assistance of an experienced attorney is never a wise decision.
Once the accident or incident has taken place, an experienced attorney must be contacted right away. Any delays in this regard will cause a number of legal issues that cannot easily be resolved. Be sure to take down all of the necessary information as well. The more information that you can provide your attorney with, the better your chances of proving liability.